Philadelphia Eagles – 41, New England Patriots – 33
Here are the highlights:
- The Eagles may have entered the Super Bowl as an underdog, but they were the superior squad Sunday night.
- The Eagles dictated the pace of the game from the start, taking a 9-3 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- L. Blount scored on a 21-yard run in the second quarter to extend the lead to 15-3, but the Patriots responded with a field goal and a 26-yard touchdown, narrowing the Philadelphia advantage to 15-12.
- The Eagles pushed the lead to 22-12 by halftime scoring on a one-yard pass from tight end Trey Burton to Foles (yes, you read that right).
- The Patriots had also tried a pass to their quarterback with Danny Amendola throwing to Brady, but the quarterback could not hang on to the pass (this was definitely the highlight of the game for Eagles fans).
- Philadelphia had a 29-26 lead after three quarters, but the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl is supposed to belong to Brady and the Patriots with them ending up ahead 33-32.
- The Eagles could have succumbed at that point, but Foles led the Eagles to the go-ahead drive that culminated when the quarterback hit Zach Ertz, who crossed the goal line before hitting the ground. The ball popped up, Ertz recovered and the officials ruled it a touchdown.
- The Patriots still had life and Brady was able to drive his team near midfield, and the Pats had one last play.
- New England’s Hail Mary prayer was not answered and it was Philadelphia’s first championship victory since 1960 when the Eagles beat Vince Lombardi and the Green Bay Packers 17-13 in the NFL Championship Game.
- Now the Eagles own the trophy that bears Lombardi’s name.
So, I’m sure you’re wondering, why the synopsis? Well, every year there is a follow-up to dovetail’s Super Bowl predictions blog posted in September. Only one #dovetailer picked one team in the Super Bowl and none of us picked the winner! Here were our predictions and clearly we all still love the New England Patriots:
Andy: Raiders/Packers (Raiders Win)
Matt: Saints/Broncos (Saints Win)
Lea: Raiders/Packers (Raiders Win)
Emily: Falcons/Chiefs (Falcons Win)
Lindsey: Patriots/Packers (Patriots Win)
Marissa: Packers/Chiefs in a Super Bowl I rematch. (Go Pack Go! for the Win!)
Until we meet again this Fall…