People unfamiliar with or new to our state may ask, “What makes Colorado cool?” But those of us who are fortunate enough to know Colorado well are more inclined to counter, “What doesn’tmake Colorado cool?”
Let’s start with the obvious, elevation-related reasons as to why Colorado is tops, literally.
- The Rocky Mountains — home to the highest peaks in central North America — run through our fine state. In fact, the Rockies’ highest peak, Mount Elbert (14,440 feet), is located in Colorado.
- Speaking of mountains that top 14,000 feet — our famous 14ers — we have 58. I guess that John Denver wasn’tfull of sh… (referenceto Dumb and Dumber, parts of which were filmed in Colorado).
- At an elevation of more than 11,000 feet, The Eisenhower Tunnel is the highest auto tunnel in the world.
- Colorado is home to the highest paved road in North America, climbing its way up Mount Evans to a final elevation of 14,130 feet.
- Katharine Lee Bates wrote “America the Beautiful” after standing atop Pikes Peak, 14,115 feet above sea level. You’re welcome, America.
- Breckenridge, Colorado, is home to the highest ski resort in the country, with the continent’s highest chair lift topping out at just under 13,000 feet. Colorado plays host to 26 ski resorts across the state.
Colorado is also home to the renowned Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre, though we just refer to it as Red Rocks. If you haven’t seen a concert at Red Rocks, it’s a must.
The climate in Colorado is pretty spectacular. Along with 300 days of sunshine annually, we get to enjoy all four seasons.
We have a team for every major professional sports league in North America: Denver Broncos (NFL), Colorado Avalanche (NHL), Denver Nuggets (NBA) and Colorado Rockies (MLB). Let us also not forget the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer (MLS).
And last but certainly not least, we must mention Denver Mexican restaurant Casa Bonita to those who are looking to travel or move to Colorado. It’s a rite of passage.
Census data suggest the cat’s out of the bag. Colorado’s population grew by roughly 80,000 in the last year. So we at dovetail solutions invite you to come check out our awesome state, but leave your car at home — the traffic is getting awful.